All staff and approximately 600 students were evacuated from North Marion High School this morning after a reported natural gas leak nearby on Grim Road.
The evacuation began shortly after 9 a.m. and lasted for about an hour. It was only a precaution because of the high school’s proximity to the leak (there was no evidence that gas had actually entered the school).
The gas line rupture occurred just east of Boones Ferry Road. Northwest Natural was on the scene shortly thereafter and called in additional gas company resources to work on containing the leak.
By 10:07 a.m., the gas leak had been contained, and units from both Hubbard and Aurora Fire, along with NW Natural Gas employees, had ensured the area was safe for North Marion students and staff to re-enter.
Want to support free, useful, locally produced journalism like this? Then consider joining our monthly membership program, Canby Now Plus, for as little as $1 a month! You’ll help us sustain and expand our work, plus you can get access to exclusive content, cool merchandise and other goodies. Thanks!