Police Beat: Jan. 22-28

Police Beat for the Week of Jan. 22nd through the 28th:

On Jan. 24 at 4:13 am, while on foot patrol, officers located a transient camp on SW First Avenue and arrested a man on an outstanding warrant. The man was also cited for criminal trespass, offensive littering — that’s the worst kind — and public indecency.

Later that same day, at 3 pm, officers responded to a report of attempted fraud on SW First Avenue when a person unsuccessfully attempted to switch bills with a cashier in an effort to steal money. The same subject was reported trying a similar scheme at another business, but was also unsuccessful. Yeah, cashiers may not be the best victims for this scam. When your main job is handling money, you tend to be pretty good at telling the difference between a $1 and a $100.

On Jan. 25 at 4:32 a.m., police encountered two transients digging through trash and recycling receptacles on SE 14th Place. The officers warned the two individuals and had them return the items they had taken. … They made them give back the trash?

On Jan. 26 at 11 p.m., while on foot patrol at Community Park on SW Berg Parkway, officers made contact with a man who had already been warned about consuming alcohol in public and being in the park after it had closed. The man was subsequently arrested for possession of methamphetamine, possession of alcohol in a park, drinking in a public place, offensive littering — again with the offensive littering? — and criminal trespass.

On Jan. 28 at 11 a.m., officers responded to a report of attempted fraud after a business received an email from a person posing as the business’s manager, directing that numerous gift cards be purchased. Employees reportedly became suspicious when the person posing as the manager asked for a gift card in the amount of “all the money.”

Finally, listeners, this is exciting. Today, we bring you the happy resolution to a story you heard about last week. On Jan. 28, at 1 p.m., officers assigned to the case of a lost iPhone from the previous week, contacted a suspect as he boarded a CAT bus on North Pine Street. The man had been identified through video surveillance. He reportedly admitted picking up the iPhone, and subsequently turned it over to officers. Later that same day, officers returned the iPhone to its owner. I really feel like Pixar needs to make a movie about this iPhone.

Want to support free, useful, locally produced journalism like this? Then consider joining our monthly membership program, Canby Now Plus, for as little as $1 a month! You’ll help us sustain and expand our work, plus you can get access to exclusive content, cool merchandise and other goodies. Thanks!